Thursday, August 28, 2014

New to Us: Pichuberries


When D and I were at Whole Foods this evening getting spices for his school project (click to read about that: here), I came across a container of Pichuberries. Since I had never seen those before, I put it on our shopping cart immediately.


Meet the pichuberry!


What is a pichuberry? It's a Peruvian fruit known as aguaymanto or Inca berry. It looks like a small, golden tomatillo; it's about the size of a large marble. R's assessment: it tastes like a mix between a star fruit and a tomato. He's right.

From my reading...the pichuberry has almost 20 times the vitamin C as an orange and could be known as an anti-diabetic fruit. They reduce sugar levels in the blood and stimulating hormones that secrete insulin in diabetic patients.

We will definitely be buying these again. They were tasty!

3 comments :

  1. This fruit commonly known as gooseberry or physallis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. from Wikipedia:
    ... this fruit is actually not a gooseberry as the name 'Cape gooseberry' may imply.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought them at Whole Foods and found them a bit sour. I wonder if there is a ripening process....I have had them once before and they were completely sweet. Any thoughts on how to ripen?

    ReplyDelete

Share Buttons